Friday, June 27, 2008

The Earth Is a Cold Dead Place

Watching the news while eating a nutritious dinner of Forman Grill-made hot dogs, I saw a story that has me more than a little concerned. Apparently some idiot made a video entitled "How To Kill a Cop" and posted it on that wonderful website youtube.com. He has been charged today with several crimes relating to the video itself, including but not limited to Corrupting a Minor and Making Terroristic Threats.

While guilty of being a complete fuckwit, I fail to see what crime this man has committed. He has simply made inflammatory statements on the internet. Who hasn't heard that one before? Heaven forbid someone say something objectionable on a medium that seems to be tailor made to piss off everyone in the world. This type of thing is just another step towards internet censorship, and we've all heard the phrase "the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

The story can be found here: 6abc.com: "Kill cops" rant lands man in jail 6/27/08

In other news: Jeff Carter has signed a 3-Year-Deal with the Flyers worth $15 million. Oh happy day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree & I don't.

I think you fail to realize just how stupid people can be. While you realize that it's morally wrong to kill, there's some some angsty, impressionable teen is going to see this & being as equally or if not, more stupid than the video creator & could go through with it.

This is why we should throw out jail sentences & have have people thrown into traffic. If they survive, then great. If not, then they had it coming for being so stupid.

If you don't agree with me with the first paragraph, I hope you at least agree with the latter.

-Mary

Unknown said...

Mary, I'm not sure I understand what you're getting at. Killing a cop isn't exactly rocket science, so I fail to see how an online tutorial was corrupting anyone. According to the article, the man's "tutorial" consisted of him "demonstrating how to use a cold .275 to shoot cops." Seriously, what was his instruction? Aim in general direction and shoot? It's a gun. They're pretty self-explanatory.

Personally, I don't think teens are really that impressionable, at least not to the extent that they would be persuaded to kill cops based on a crazy person's YouTube rant (which violated YouTubes TOS and has been pulled, so it's a moot point now).